Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chicago!

Hey all,

I know it's been awhile. I have been busy setting up my apartment, getting acquainted with the city, and learning. There has been lots of learning. 

The flight to Chicago was a late night one. I sat next to this nice lady and her little boy, who surprisingly to me was a great traveller. Those who travel a lot know what I am talking about. I got into Chicago pretty late so I couldn't move into my place right away, not to mention my furniture that I had ordered online hadn't showed up either. So I stayed with my friend LS at her apartment. It's so nice that we're all so close to each other in Hyde Park.

Is it safe? You live in the South Side of Chicago. Are there shootings every night? Yeah, I can read your minds. Yes, Hyde Park is safe, after all I've been reading from Forum Bonaire, I'd definitely choose to stay here, among other reasons, like being able to get what you want when you need it ('Merica!). Obviously, it's not like a small town, it is urban, but using common sense, it's actually a great place. I walk to buy my groceries, because 1. everything is so close by and 2. free parking on my street, prime real estate. Speaking of parking, Hyde Park has a lot of free parking, just be sure to read the signs properly so your car won't get towed.

Since my car was delivered 2 days late (UGH! Long story short, NEVER, EVER ship your car through Intransit, LLC. Glad I had a broker, Jeff and Ellen are the best.), I explored the city via public trans. CTA bus stops are all over the neighborhood! I had so much fun exploring downtown Chicago. I've been to the Bean (too cold to get a photo), the Macy's on State Street, and I've shopped at Water Tower Place, which is part of the Magnificent Mile. The city is amazing.

The escalators at the entrance of Water Tower Place.  

The first week of classes was interesting. The first day is super long and super disorganized. Word of advice have $279 cash on you the first day of class, as well as a credit/debit card and your ID. The cash is for your Kaplan Q bank, HIPAA, OSHA, and CPR. The credit/debit card and your ID is for your drug test, which is $20. You will be there past 7:30pm, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise, although we could have been done a lot earlier without huge time wasting (disorganized!) and our 2 hour lunch. The second day is when you start class, you will be in class with the previous month's class. How are the professors? Well, we have had 3 out of the four and so far, I've learned a lot, my First Aid has been annotated every way to Sunday. 

Immuno annotations.

With my tiny handwriting I fit a lot into those blank spaces in First Aid. My first section was GI and I took about 18 pages of notes in 2 days, if that gives you any indication on how much you learn. 

So what's the perk of getting your ID ASAP? It gives you access to the University of Chicago Library. It's really nice and quiet, a great place to study either by yourself or in a group. Your ID will give you a 3 month pass to get into the library, after the 3 months, you do have to renew, since the max they can give you is 3 months. 

Onto the fun stuff! Those of you who know me, know that I am obsessed with Landon Austin, who is a singer/songwriter from Nashville, TN. He played a show in Chicago, and the venue only holds about 30-40 people, so of course that has to be my highlight so far. Getting to meet someone that you admire and having an actual conversation with them is pretty surreal. He is every bit as sweet and kind as he is on his vlogs. Yes, I will admit that I fangirled a bit when I met him. In fact, I was standing next to him before he went into the venue I couldn't find the nerve to say "hello," to him, but I redeemed myself after the show. 

Aaron and Landon, whaaaaat?! At least I didn't squeal like the 13 year olds that were there . . . 

So far Chicago has been great. People tell me that I'm a big city kind of girl, and I usually beg to differ. I mean I come from San Fran and Seattle, and most recently Seattle, which is a smaller sized metro than Chicago, but I think that they may be right. I do like city living. However, I know I will be leaving Chicago when my time with it is done. I am a West Coast girl through and through. So, my friends in Seattle don't get too comfortable without me, I'll be back before you know it. In the meantime, I would love visitors, hahaha. 

Anyway, back to the books. Looking forward to next week though. Fabio Viviani of Top Chef fame will be here in Chi-town. My life sounds pretty okay, studying for the step and meeting celebrities. Not too shabby.


No comments:

Post a Comment